Thursday, January 22, 2015

Bubble skirt et all

Pin It There is nothing quite so easy to sew as a skirt. The fitting is fairly simple and you can often get away with two side seams and a waist band.



And when you want more variety, there are a ton of great tutorials to help you create this wardrobe staple. 

Project Run and Play is doing something different this year by having a linky party each month for a pattern remix. January is Alida Makes' Bubble Skirt/Dress.  When I saw the theme, I thought it was the perfect time to review the tutorial and highlight other great skirt tutorials. 
In order to avoid the shirring requirement in Alida's skirt, I used a knit (an old shirt belonging to my son before he out grew it.). I simply stretched it while sewing it to the main fabric the way you would ribbing on a tee shirt. 



For the waist band I used the technique described on Made in this great circle skirt tutorial.

link

On our Pinterest site we collect all sorts of tutorials we like that you can check out but here are a couple other great skirt tutorials for you to try:

link
link
link


The cardi that is in this picture is from last year. She actually has barely worn it because she was not a fan of the ruffles. Tweens can be so fickle. But I think they pair beautifully and much better than the jeans she insisted on wearing with the skirt. 



There is also a very fun event at Friends Stitched Together; a series called CraftingCon and this month's theme is Dr. Who. My daughter loves the show and I thought I could style her up as a tardis for a photo shoot. But she was not in the mood. 

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain with the tween drama! It's so cool that you used a knit for the lining to avoid the shirring, I will have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I love having a tween, others ... not so much. And the knit was an idea born out of sheer laziness. But isn't that when we have our best ideas?

      Delete
  2. That knit sounds so comfy! I can wait for my kids to hit the tween drama.....Gavin is almost there but thankfully not quite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skirt is quite warm and hopefully she will wear it, if not the matching cardigan. And don't worry, tween drama is coming your way though my sister says it comes later with boys.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh good idea with the knit underlining.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!